Farewell my Friend - by Rambo


Farewell my Friend

From Rambo’s eyes

It was a day that started as any other day, dad took me outside to pee before he left for work. As he passed Haiku, he gave her a little scratch on the head as he usually does. I waited for him to start his coffee then he took me out to the yard. I quickly peed and returned to await my morning pill smothered in cream cheese. After that, I went back to bed with mom and napped wit her.

Some time later she got up and this is the happiest time of the day for me, because by now, Haiku has usually had enough sleep, where she wants to go outside for her morning pee. This is my chance to get her to play. And play she did, as she always does. She would put both her front paws and lay low to the ground as her butt stood high in the air with her curled tail sprung. I would usually run around and she would fake the chase, though we had fun and I enjoyed our moments of play time.

We went inside, and the rest of the afternoon was mostly non-eventful. Haiku would go find a cool spot to lie down. Now it was a waiting game for dad to come home. He would come home about 7pm most days. Mom was making dinner, and I hung out around the kitchen in case any scraps fell to the ground during preparation.

It was after dinner, and mom went to check on Haiku. She had noticed, as had I, that she had remained in the same spot all afternoon. She came out and told dad that something may be wrong. They decided to go on a walk because they know how much Haiku and I love our walks. Mom jiggled the leashes and called out that we were going on a WALK. I raced to the door and started whining…dad put the leash on me. Haiku was slow to come; however, she made her way to the door reluctantly, almost as if to do so just to participate in the family outing.

We began down the street and I could barely be restrained. I looked back as mom tells dad that she does not want to walk and that ‘something is wrong’. Dad told mom not to overreact, though Haiku sat down, her back slumped, tail down…and finally lay down on a neighbor’s driveway. Dad handed my leash to mom and took Haiku and headed home with her.

After getting her home, they noted that her breathing was labored. They were going to call their good friend, Dr. Fox. First they called…and after checking her out, Dr.Fox said to bring her over so that he could have a look at her. I willingly went along for the ride. Haiku had to be carried to the car, she was reluctant to move. Little did dad know that she no longer had the energy to do so. They got her to Dr. Fox’s house and he checked her out. I was really nervous, so mom walked me around to smell the sidewalk as dad sat with Haiku while Dr.Fox checked her out.

I heard dad tell mom that while she was taking short breaths, Dr.Fox said that her heart rate was regular, did not appear to have any unusually noise in the lungs. He also felt her abdomen to ensure that she did not have bloat. Finally, he checked her gums to check for color and the color was fine. He did say she was not that responsive. He recommended getting her to the office in the morning and begin blood work along with IVs.

We got her home and mom went to the bedroom and moved her bed directly next to her bed. As she finished, dad was carrying her from the car to the bed. I saw him gently lay her down and rub her head ever so gently. He left the room and headed back to the kitchen with mom. Just about then, Haiku got up and walked to the water bowls and took a drink. After taking a drink, I saw her lay down next to the bowls because she was really tired. I began to get nervous.

When mom came back from the bathroom, she saw Haiku laying there and decided to set up a make-shift bed on the kitchen floor right next to her. She also readied a bed for dad on the floor next to the two of them. They both lay on the ground at eye level with Haiku. Mom was able to get her to drink and drink she did. She was very thirsty and had fresh water. Mom and dad were very excited that she was drinking. I could hear them say that she probably made herself sick by dehydrating. This was a good sign, she was drinking.

Then…Haiku let’s out a cry. A cry like no other I’ve ever heard before. We were all scared and nervous. It didn’t seem like she was in pain, but rather scared. She didn’t know what was happening to her. Mom knew as she uttered the words “she’s dying”. I didn’t really understand, though the mood changed. Mom and dad were comforting Haiku and petting her telling her that they loved here. She let out another cry.

I managed to work my way between mom and dad and laid my head down on mom’s lap as I looked over at my friend, Haiku. Once again, Haiku let out a lone cry that still haunts be to this day. I did not know what to do, but mom and dad held her paw in their hands and kissed her on the snout. They continued to pet her and let her know that they love her.

After a short while, Haiku let out a gasp. The moment was near. Mom and dad began to cry. Haiku took another heavy gasp of air, as if to cling to the last moments of life; the crying ensued. I knew not what to do. The gasps became more labored and infrequent. Finally, my friend, Haiku Elizabeth Nasiff, took one last gasp of air and breathed no more. Mom and dad were hysterical and I tried to comfort them by licking them. My best friend had passed away. Everything was a blur. She lay there motionless. I wanted her just to get up and play with me, but she could not..

On this day, August 12, 2011, I lost my best friend. I am lost without her.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baloo's Story - Justice for Baloo

Robby Nasiff Football Prospect